Wednesday 4 July 2012

Bahamian Stew Fish


Stew made with fried fish
Sometimes I skip frying the fish to avoid the excess oil or if I'm pressed for time.  


Ingredients:
  • 2 – 3 lbs fish, cleaned and seasoned (we normally use grouper or snapper)
  • 1/3 cup cooking oil
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • thyme
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
  • Salt & pepper to taste


Directions:
  1. Partially fry fish until brown on both sides.
  2. Heat oil in heavy frying pan/skillet, add flour and stir continually until brown. Take care that it does not burn.
  3. Add onion, thyme & tomato paste (optional) and mix well.
  4. Place in a pot of boiling water (about 6 cups).  Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes or until fish is properly cooked.
  5. Serve with grits/ johnny cake / homemade bread.

Tip: When needed, I use a roux of 2 tbsp of flour and water to thicken the stew.  Be sure to use a strainer.

Stew made with non-fried fish






4 comments:

  1. Hi Sugar! My mum and dad were born in the Bahamas, and moved to Australia (I was born here)...my sister and I grew up eating fish & grits on Sunday nights. It's such wonderful comfort food 😊 Can't wait to try more of your recipes on this blog. Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alyssa, it's so very nice to meet you!! You have Bahamian roots, that's awesome!! Hope you get to try as many of my recipes as possible. God bless :)

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try out your recipe. I have been going to the Bahamas for 30 years and this is one of my favorite dishes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete