In regards to the preparation there are times when I'm feeling really lazy and skip frying/searing the fish before stewing.
- 2 – 3 lbs fish, cleaned and seasoned (we normally use grouper or snapper)
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Partially fry fish until brown on both sides.
- Heat oil in heavy frying pan/skillet, add flour and stir continually until brown. Take care that it does not burn.
- Add onion, thyme & tomato paste (optional) and mix well.
- Place in a pot of boiling water (about 6 cups). Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes or until fish is properly cooked.
- Serve with grits/ johnny cake / homemade bread.
Tip: When needed, I use a roux of 2 tbsp of flour and water to thicken the stew. Be sure to use a strainer.
|Stew made with non-fried fish|