Here’s a nice little recipe I found for Crockpot Shrimp Gumbo that I would like to share with you. My kitchen is dreadfully hot this time of the year, so any crockpot recipe is a welcome change. Let me know how yours came out :)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ pound smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pack or 12 oz frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown.
- Place flour-oil mixture in 3½ to 4 quart crockpot (or slow cooker).
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp.
- Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours.
- Add shrimp to gumbo mixture in crockpot; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low setting for additional 20 minutes.
- Serve gumbo over rice. See recipe here.
Serving Size: 6