Chocolate mousse just has a way of making the most amateur cooks, like myself, look like professionals. After perusing several mousse recipes I came up with this concoction:
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 8 oz cool whip
- Thoroughly combine cocoa powder, sugar, milk, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl and heat in microwave (for about a minute or two).
- Add egg yolks a bit at a time to prevent them from being scrambled.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Combine cool whip with whipped egg whites. Be sure to leave a bit of cool whip for garnishing, if desired.
- Gently fold in the chocolate mixture a bit at a time.
- Spoon into serving glasses and refrigerate until set.
- Garnish with cool whip before serving (optional).
Please note: raw eggs should not be consumed by children and the elderly.