This is one of the easiest Lemon Meringue Pie recipes I ever came across. If you are particularly pressed for time a ready-made crust could be used. I was done making this pie in a matter of minutes and it’s only my second time doing it.
- One graham cracker ready-crust
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- tsp grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Prick holes on the bottom of the pie crust (to prevent it from bubbling up as it bakes).
- Bake the pie crust at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, until it starts to turn light brown.
- Separate eggs and beat the yolks. Set the whites aside for the meringue.
- In a heavy pot, combine 1 cup of sugar, the cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon peel. Stir in the egg yolks, and then add the water.
- Heat these ingredients until they are just barely boiling. Then let them simmer over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the butter. Pour this into the baked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff, then stir in the six tablespoons of sugar.
- Spread the meringue over the lemon filling, using a spatula to form peaks.
- Bake the pie at 400 degrees until the meringue begins to brown.
- Allow the pie cool before serving.