Before I learned how to bake bread the entire process seemed so intimidating. I found a recipe for making dinner rolls and did a bit of tweaking to come up with this basic bread recipe designed just for beginners, like myself. Just follow the directions and you get a nice loaf of bread.
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- ¼ cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 cups of flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (make sure water is warm and not hot).
- Place milk and butter in a small bowl and microwave until milk is warm (not hot), this should take about a minute.
- To the yeast mixture add the egg, sugar, salt and one cup of flour.
- Mix in the warm milk and butter mixture. (Must be warm if it is hot you will kill the yeast).
- Add another cup of flour and mix.
- Add a third cup of flour and to form a wet, sticky dough.
- Place dough on a floured board/counter and knead. Add more flour in when the dough gets too sticky. (Don't work too much flour into the dough).
- Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic, but still soft and slightly sticky. Form into a smooth ball.
- Place dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm spot, until double in size.
- After dough has doubled, shape and set in a loaf pan.
- Allow to rise and double in size again (about 30-45 minutes).
- Bake 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn bread out on a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy!!