Monday 5 March 2012

Johnny Cake


Even though it is called Johnny Cake, to Bahamians it is really bread and in some instances it is called Johnny Bread. I call it the “official bread” of the Bahamas and we eat it with our stews, souses and soups.

This is one of the easiest breads to make.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1/3 cup sugar

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add sugar, oil and milk. Mix and pour in baking pan.
  4. Bake until light brown or until inserted fork/toothpick comes out clean.

Note: I always add a bit more sugar, because I like mine just a wee bit sweeter.

8 comments:

  1. simple n yummy cake recipe....looks delicious !

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! My husband goes by the name Johnny,though his birth name is Amrinder( he is from India). I am so happy to be able to stop by and visit your Delicious site sis. Though my newborn has been keeping me up late at night , I always try to make time for my online blogger friends:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure, Rashida!! I share the same sentiments, thanks for your support :)

      Delete
  3. oh wow..if I made that and it looked like that my kids would eat it!! thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours would come out just as good or even better :)

      Delete
  4. this cake really looks kool.. Found u through "my taste" you have really a nice blog :) i think i should learn something from you too
    Glad if you follow me back, i have joined your site :) Stay in touch dear..
    Monu
    Recipes Passion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monu Teena!! I think your blog is totally awesome, will definitely follow back :)

      Delete