Crawfish in any form is considered a delicacy here in the Bahamas. It is one of the most expensive seafood in these parts. However, crawfish is much cheaper in what we refer to as the out islands or family islands, so I consider myself pretty fortunate whenever my relatives from Abaco are kind enough to send some for me.
There are countless recipes that utilize this dainty shellfish, but today I’m making crawfish salad, my husband’s favorite. Lobster may also be used because the taste is similar to crawfish.
Here is how I made my salad (a very large serving), you may reduce or increase ingredients as desired.
- 10 – 12 medium cooked crawfish tails (shelled and deveined)
- 1 large sweet pepper (diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large limes/lemons
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Dice crawfish into medium chunks and place in large mixing bowl
- Add lime/lemon juice.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss well, don’t over mix.
- Allow to chill in refrigerator before serving.