Even if you’re not crazy over vegetables, this is a great way to get a serving or two in your system: veggie rice. As always, remember to adjust the quantities to accommodate the size of your family.
- 4 cups white parboiled rice
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 6 oz tomato paste/ tomato sauce
- 14 oz can kernel corn (with liquid)
- 14 oz can sweet peas & carrots (with liquid)
- 3 – 4 cups water
- salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Place a medium/large hard-bottom pot on medium heat and add oil.
- Stir in tomato paste/sauce followed by peas, carrots and corn.
- Add water, salt and other seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, and then add the rice.
- Reduce heat (medium-low) and cover pot.
- Allow to cook for about 20 minutes, be sure to test the rice to ensure that it’s cooked through.
Makes about 8 servings
Tip: one great way to get my rice to cook all the way through without adding more water is to “trap” the heat in the pot. You do this by placing a piece of plastic or foil over the rice and placing the lid back on, reduce the heat to a very low setting and allow it to “soak” for a few minutes. Watch your pot and don’t allow your rice to burn.