Thursday 7 March 2013

Chicken and Dumplings


Ever since I heard the song “She’ll be coming ‘round the Mountain,” I have been haunted by chicken n’ dumplings, lol!! Let me tell ya, this was like no soup I’ve ever tasted, talk about real comfort food. I cooked this southern dish with my very own Bahamian twist; needless to say my husband loved it so much, that he went back for seconds. This dish will definitely be a mainstay our house because it is so simple and so delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (fat free)
  • 2 cups fat free chicken stock
  • 4 pieces seasoned chicken (drumsticks & thighs)
  • 2 – 3 cups flour
  • Water
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • Onion powder

Optional:
  • 2 carrots – diced
  • 1 medium sweet potato – cubed



Directions:
  1. Pour cream of chicken soup and chicken stock in a medium pot on medium-low heat.
  2. Add chicken and vegetables and bring to a boil
  3. Reduce heat to low then season to taste.
  4. Make the dough for dumplings by placing flour in a mixing bowl and adding just enough water to make a firm dough (I prefer mine without baking powder).
  5. Roll small pieces of dough between the hands to form dumplings and add to pot.
  6. Cook on medium-low heat for another 15 – 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.


Makes about 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. I will be making this week because I'm making bread tomorrow. I will buy my flour tomorrow. I like that you use low fat cream of chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy :) The fat-free soup has great flavor, I use Campbell's

      Delete