Ever since I heard the song “She’ll be coming ‘round the Mountain,” I have been haunted by chicken n’ dumplings, lol!! Let me tell ya, this was like no soup I’ve ever tasted, talk about real comfort food. I cooked this southern dish with my very own Bahamian twist; needless to say my husband loved it so much, that he went back for seconds. This dish will definitely be a mainstay our house because it is so simple and so delicious.
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (fat free)
- 2 cups fat free chicken stock
- 4 pieces seasoned chicken (drumsticks & thighs)
- 2 – 3 cups flour
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- 2 carrots – diced
- 1 medium sweet potato – cubed
- Pour cream of chicken soup and chicken stock in a medium pot on medium-low heat.
- Add chicken and vegetables and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low then season to taste.
- Make the dough for dumplings by placing flour in a mixing bowl and adding just enough water to make a firm dough (I prefer mine without baking powder).
- Roll small pieces of dough between the hands to form dumplings and add to pot.
- Cook on medium-low heat for another 15 – 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
Makes about 4 servings