Conch fritters are highly-favored down home delicacies enjoyed by natives and visitors alike. These hard to resist, bite-sized treats are usually served as appetizers along with a cocktail dipping sauce. As a variation, lobster/crawfish could be used instead of conch.
- 4 cups cooking oil
- 2 medium conch
- ½ small sweet pepper – finely chopped
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350 degrees
- Clean and skin conch and put through a meat grinder or food processor.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl to make a batter (not too thick and not too runny).
- Drop batter by tablespoon into hot oil and fry for approx. 10 min. or until golden brown.
- Allow fritters to drain on paper towels.
- Serve with dipping sauce
In a bowl mix:
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp horseradish
- Salt to taste
Note: Add more water if batter is too thick or more flour if it is too runny.