Baked macaroni & cheese is one of my all-time favorite dishes. You could add your own unique twist to this dish. Here’s mine:
- 1 Box 16 ounce elbow macaroni (I prefer Mueller’s)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small green sweet pepper, finely diced
- 1 can evaporated milk or cream of chicken soup
- 12 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ red hot pepper, finely diced
- 12 – 14 cups water
- In a large pot bring water and salt to a boil.
- Add macaroni to boiling water, cook until tender (but not too soft), some prefer al dente.
- Drain off water and place macaroni back in pot. Add in all other ingredients and stir, take care to add cheese a little at a time that so it properly melts. Leave enough cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Pour mixture into greased 13ʺ x 9 ʺ pan then sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Place in a 350-degree oven and bake until top is golden brown or slightly brown.
(Serves 8 – 12)
Tip: Cream of Chicken soup (low fat) sends this dish over the top. For extra kick, I add a tbsp. of good yellow mustard to the mixture.
Warning: This dish is very addictive!!